Vision & Mission
Sumba Hospitality Foundation believes that all young people should get an opportunity in life to grow and make a better future for themselves.
Sumba is a beautiful, friendly island with a highly distinctive culture, which is slowly developing into a tourism destination.
By offering vocational education in hospitality we can provide young Sumbanese people with the skills they need to create employment opportunities on the island.
Our project aims to:
- Build a sustainable model for responsible tourism development, while preserving the cultural history of the Sumbanese people
- Provide a much needed vocational education to underprivileged students and give them the opportunity of a new career
- Share sustainable permaculture techniques in Sumba and create environmental awareness
“We hope that Sumba can grow as an example of responsible tourism development, involving the local people, protecting the environment, the sea and the natural beauty of the island.”
— Inge De Lathauwer, founder
Sumba Hospitality Foundation believes that education is the best prevention against child labour, prostitution and human trafficking on the island of Sumba.
We want to give equal access to education and do not discriminate based on religious beliefs or tribal associations. We hope to develop our students’ ability to communicate in English, to solve problems and apply critical thinking methods in the process, while also teaching them a wide range of technical skills needed in their chosen specialisation.
Why does Sumba need help?
- One of the poorest regions in Indonesia
- Malnutrition and lack of food
- Less than 50% of young people finish primary school
- Regular cases of child labor & child trafficking
- High foreign investment & signs of new economic development